Lesson Plan #:AELP-WCP004
Submitted by: Jennifer R. Fritz
Endorsed by: Dr. Don E. Descy, Mankato State University Date: May 14, 1998
Grade Level(s): 1, 2, 3, 4
- Language Arts/Writing (composition)
Description: Composing an autobiography for the first time can be difficult. Through using a web layout the students will be able to pick out the interesting and important facts about themselves.
Goals: Students will understand the process of writing an autobiography through a web layout.
Background Information: This activity can be used for students at all levels of writing abilities. It teaches them how to organize main points, through a simple process using a web layout sheet. The web is a simple sheet that has one large circle in the middle and many small circles branching off of the large one. This project can be spread over a few days, to allow more thought process.
Students will be able to:
1. Learn the process of creating an autobiography.
2. Organize main points by placing them on a web layout.
1. The students will fill in the web with important (one word) information about themselves.
2. The teacher will look over the sheet and help them when needed.
3. The students will write the information in sentences.
4. Then they will organize them into groups.
5. They would then write them all out for their rough draft.
6. The teacher will look over the rough draft and mark points the students need to work on.
7. The students will then make the corrections, and write up their final draft.
The students will be graded on how well they have organized the final autobiography.
They will learn more from the process then the final draft.
Useful Internet Resource:
* Writing Web Idea Organizer