Lesson Plan #:AELP-SPN0010
Author: Angela Schonauer
School or Affiliation: Red Bird Mission School, Beverly, KY
Endorsed by: Kwabena D. Ofori-Attah, Ph.D, Cumberland College Williamsburg, KY Date: 1994
Grade Level(s): 5, 6, 7, 8
- Foreign Language/Spanish
Since traveling has become cheaper and easier, more and more people visit other lands and countries each year. While in those foreign lands they eat foods which are common to those areas. It is beneficial to know and be able to use vocabulary which deals with foods.
The students will gain and use vocabulary which deals with some Spanish foods.
Objectives: The students will be able to :
- 1. Discuss what typical lunches are like in the United States
- 2. Learn what a typical lunch might be like in Spain
- 3. Learn Spanish vocabulary words for those foods
- 4. Construct a mini-poster displaying a typical Spanish lunch
- 5. Learn vocabulary phrases to use when ordering food in Spain
- 6. Participate in a dialogue using Spanish
Pens, pencils, markers, crayons, glue, tape, paper, magazines, sample menus from Spain, overhead transparencies, overhead projector/screen, chalk and chalkboard.
- 1. Discuss what typical lunches are like in the United States.
- 2. Examples of typical Spanish lunches will be given.
- 3. Students will copy the Spanish vocabulary words/phrases from the overhead projector screen.
- 4. Review the vocabulary by using it as the content for a game of Hangman.
- 5. Construct a mini-poster of a typical Spanish lunch.
- 6. Label the pictures with the correct Spanish words.
- 7. Practice using the new Spanish vocabulary words and phrases.
Tying It All Together:
- 1. Write three to five sentences in Spanish describing the poster.
- 2. Share the sentences with the class.
- 3. Participate in skits/dialogues using the new vocabulary.