Printer friendly text
* Grading the Systems: The Guide to State Standards, Tests, and Accountability Policies
"This report looks at six elements of K-12 accountability systems in 30 different states. Each state
is rated on standards, test content, alignment of tests to standards, test rigor, testing
trustworthiness and openness, and accountability policies." Produced by the Thomas B. Fordham
* Assessment and Accountability Systems: 50 State Profiles
The Consortium for Policy Research in Education "conducted a survey of state assessment and
accountability systems in two phases between the fall of 1999 and the spring of 2000." The results for
each of the 50 states are reported at this site.
* Data-Driven Districts: Using Data to Inform Key Decisions
Learn lessons from four districts that take different approaches to using data to inform key decisions.
See also "Providing Data to Your Board" and "Using Data to Think Differently," which includes six lessons
for giving the public a better way to size up student performance.
* Software Enabling School Improvement Through Analysis of Student Data (January 2004)
"In this report,
the authors consider issues surrounding the use of student data and data based decisionmaking,
describing the state of the field and possible future directions, present reviews of
a range of commercially available software for analyzing student data, and provide and
maintain a website that will contain ongoing updates of software reviews." Published by the Center
for Research on the Education of Students Placed At
* ETS Test Locator
"The ETS Test Collection includes an extensive library of 20,000 tests and other measurement devices
from the early 1900s to the present."
* Buros: Test Reviews
Includes citations for tests reviewed in Mental Measurment Yearbook. Full text of most reviews is
not available for free online.
* Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation
"Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation (PARE) is an on-line journal supported, in part, by
the Department of Measurement, Statistics, and Evaluation at the University of Maryland, College
Park. Its purpose is to provide education professionals access to refereed articles that can have a
positive impact on assessment, research, evaluation, and teaching practice, especially at the local
education agency (LEA) level."
* Digital Resources for Evaluators
A large directory of online evaluation resources.
* Nation's Report Card: National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
The Nation's Report Card is the only nationally representative and continuing assessment of what
Americas students know and can do in various subject areas.
* Improving Student Achievement: What State NAEP Test Scores Tell Us (2000)
"This new RAND book offers the most comprehensive look to date at state-level educational reform
policies." Full text chapters available as pdf documents.
* Knowing What Students Know: The Science and Design of Educational Assessment (2001)
"This report addresses assessments used in both classrooms and large-scale contexts for three broad
purposes: to assist learning, to measure individual achievement, and to evaluate programs." From the
National Research Council.
* Evaluation and the Academy: Are We Doing the Right Thing? (2002)
This report from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences examines grade and evaluation inflation in
American higher education. Available as a pdf document.
* Building Tests To Support Instruction and Accountability
This report from the NEA's Commission on Instructionally Supportive Assessment Commission and "contains
nine requirements that must be met to ensure a responsible educational assessment system for the
improvement of learning."
* Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing (CRESST)
CRESST conducts research on important topics related to K-12 educational testing. Site contains
assessments in different subject areas, full text reports (in .pdf format), and a question and answer
* ERIC Digest - Basic Assessment Concepts for Teachers and School Administrators (2000)
* ERIC Digest - Some Evaluation Questions (1998)
Discussion forum focusing on issues related to educational assessment in grades K-12.
To subscribe, address an e-mail message to:
In the message body: Subscribe K12ASSESS-L Your First and Last Name
Archives and Subscription Information: http://ericae.net/k12assess/
* National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME)
NCME is a professional organization of about 2,300 members, many of whom are involved in either the construction and uses of educational tests or the development and evaluation of measurement models and methods.
1230 17th St. NW
Washington, DC 20036-3078
Back to Top