Printer friendly text
Home > Educational Management
* Schools as Centers of Community: A Citizen's Guide for Planning and Design (2003)
"This publication outlines a systematic planning approach that can result in the successful
development of schools as centers of community. Its chapters provide basic principles for designing
such schools, case studies of successful projects, and a step-by-step methodology, —compleet with
action checklists, —for developinga facilities master plna.
* The Future of School Facilities: Getting Ahead of the Curve
"Innovative educators realize that industrial-age assumptions about learning – that everyone learns the
same way; that there are “smart” kids and “dumb” kids – are obsolete. Tomorrow’s classrooms will be based
on something different." Includes a link to the full report in .pdf format.
* U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Healthy School
"The Healthy School Environments Web pages are intended to serve as a
gateway to on-line resources to help facility managers, school
administrators, architects, design engineers, school nurses, parents,
teachers and staff address environmental health issues in schools."
* Creating Safe Learning Zones: The ABC's of Healthy Schools
"The outcome of a nationwide effort to eliminate practices that place
children at risk from chemicals in their environment - particularly
schools, parks, and playgrounds."
* National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities: Information Resources
This hot topic collection contains annotated bibliographies of Internet and print resources on key
issues in K-12 school facilities. Topics include planning, design, construction, financing, and
operations and maintenance.
* Condition of America's Public School Facilities: 1999
This report provides information about the condition of school facilities and the costs to bring them
into good condition; school plans for repairs, renovations, and replacements; the age of public schools;
and overcrowding and practices used to address overcrowding. The full report is available online as a
* Building A New Role: States and School Facilities (June 2001)
"This three-part special report examines the changing role of the states in addressing the nation's need
to build and modernize its public schools." From Education Week.
* Building America's Schools: State Efforts to Address School Facility Needs (June 14, 2000)
This report is published by the National Governor's Association. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
* School Planning and Management: 2002 Construction Report
Examines current trends in school construction.
* School Planning and Management Article Archive
Includes links to online articles focusing on facilities planning and energy management.
* EnergySmart Schools
A program of the U.S. Department of Energy focused on reducing energy costs for schools through better building design, energy-efficient and renewable energy technologies, and improvements to operations and maintenance.
* Indoor Air Quality Basics For School
This site from the American Lung Association provides important information on indoor air
quality in schools. Also includes links to related links and publications and a set of FAQs.
* ERIC Digest: Deteriorating School Facilities and Student Learning (1993)
* National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities
National Institute of Building Sciences
1090 Vermont Avenue, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005-4905
Phone: (202) 289-7800
Toll Free: 1-888-552-0624
Fax: (202) 289-1092
* Council of Educational Facility Planners International
9180 E. Desert Cove
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone: (480) 391-0840
Fax: (480) 391-0940
* The National Program for Playground Safety
School for Health, Physical Education and Leisure Services
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0618
Phone: (319) 273-2416
Fax: (319) 273-7308
Back to Top